Originally constructed in c.1897 for Sir Joseph George Long Innes, 156 Clarence Street is a fine, representative example of a terrace warehouse in the Free Classical style.

Progressively adapted for commercial use since the 1920s, including the early addition of new shopfront windows and two upper floors, it retains much of its fundamental external decorative detail.

The property was purchased in 1984 and became known as the Cue Clothing Co Building with owner, Cue Design Pty Ltd occupying until recently.

It is heritage listed by City of Sydney Council and classified by the National Trust of Australia (NSW) in recognition of its historic and aesthetic contribution to the city.